HELLO THERE!

It's amazing how we have the audacity to think that we are important among the 7 billion people on earth; that people would want to know us, listen to us, and read what we want them to. But that really shouldn't stop us from what we want to/need to say anyway! This is a blog based on lifestyle, social issues, fashion (occasionally) and the mind. Based on my mind and the opinion it generates. I am 19 and I am a Media and Journalism undergrad student in Manipal University, India. I hope you like my blog. Do visit my website www.abhishreejkumar.com :)

Tuesday 4 November 2014

TECHNOLOGY: A BOON OR A BANE? (2)

Mr. Lingappa, lost in thoughts about his life
“2011; worst year of my life, I lost everything”, said Mr. Lingappa Rai*, 52, a waiter in one of the coffee shops of Mangalore. “Madam, it’s so simple for you isn't it? Write something. What is there to interview people about all these? Technology and what not? What are you getting out of it?” asked the irritated Rai, waiting to leave, when he was approached initially. After a minute or two, he calmed down and explained why he loathes ‘technology’. “Not a lot of bad things happen every day Madam, and I am not saying that technology is a bad thing, it has helped a lot of people, but sadly, I wasn't one of them.” Why? “Madam, everything has two sides to it. Too much of anything is not good. ‘Jaasthi aanda amruthala visha aapundu’ (too much of immortal elixir will also turn into poison), and that is what happened with me.” What happened? “Ah, have you heard of online betting and lottery games, madam? It is like an addiction! I don’t know what happened to me in my 50’s. Daughters got married, I had money. I didn't know where to spend it, and this seemed like a good way. After all, what’s there forever? Enjoy life, because we will all die someday. My wife warned me not to do it. But I don’t know why I did it. I went and registered myself to this. I always had a craze for lotteries, and this was faster, cheaper, better! Initially I won few lotteries! Petty ones madam, but I won them no? I felt motivated. I told my wife that there is big money in it. Online lottery is extremely addictive, because the offers that came everyday kept pulling me towards it.” Was it controlling you? “Yes, of course it was controlling me! You think I’m mad to put in all my savings in it otherwise? Eventually I began to lose everything. Situation became worse madam. I was in debt and I had to sell my wife’s jewellery. Because of this my daughters stopped talking to me. Even now, they don’t talk properly to me. I lost my job. I used to work in a departmental store, but they fired me. Now, to clear debts, I found this job madam. Surprisingly, this pays more than my previous job. It is a nice hotel!” said Rai, waving at the counters serving coffee; hopeful. How are things at home now? “That’s what madam, it’s ruined. It was my mistake- I agree, but what to do madam, technology changes lives… that’s what you said. See mine? It changed to the bad. I used it in the wrong way, but without technology, my life would have been much simpler. See our parents madam; they are still living such a happy and peaceful life. I lost my family and respect because of it. Now tell me, did it do good or bad to me? Bad.” What does technology mean to you now, sir? “It will be the end of us madam. Now we won’t realize it, but it will replace humans, and it will gobble their minds up. We rely too much on technology that we forget the basic necessities of life, and we lose our common sense. It is destruction!” said Rai.

“Good luck with your project madam. And mark my words; it will be the end of mankind” said Rai- cheerfully in fact- as I turned to leave.

*Names changed on request.

No comments:

Post a Comment