HELLO THERE!

It's amazing how we have the audacity to think that we are important among the 7 billion people on earth; that people would want to know us, listen to us, and read what we want them to. But that really shouldn't stop us from what we want to/need to say anyway! This is a blog based on lifestyle, social issues, fashion (occasionally) and the mind. Based on my mind and the opinion it generates. I am 19 and I am a Media and Journalism undergrad student in Manipal University, India. I hope you like my blog. Do visit my website www.abhishreejkumar.com :)

Thursday 2 April 2015

IT'S MY CHOICE TO NOT SUPPORT 'MY CHOICE'.


MY CHOICE; this video, directed by Homi Adajania has literally gone viral for all the wrong reasons! If you haven’t watched it yet, here’s the link. Watch it, and then read the post.
(Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtPv7IEhWRA
I didn’t post a status on Facebook, or tweet on Twitter, or blog about it. Basically, I did nothing. ‘Why?’ you ask? I believe in silence till I can reach a conclusion. And before I do, I like to go through all the possibilities of what something can or cannot mean. And now that I have reached a conclusion, I am ‘obviously’ going to blog about it- my choice. 

First of all, I was shocked that Vogue India did not think of the consequences it would cause to their #VogueEmpower campaign before releasing this video. I mean, I honestly loved the video directed by Vikas Bahl featuring Alia Bhatt, called ‘Going Home’. It was cute, it was simple, but it was really powerful when it came to sending out a message, and the best part? Its message was extremely clear. But what happened to ‘My Choice’? Looks like Vogue India went wrong with its choice.


As Vogue India Itself mentioned in the description of the video- what happens when 99 women from varying walks of life come together to send out one powerful message? I’ll tell you what happens. The whole society goes gaga over it because the message 99 women are giving out- 99, that’s a lot- is completely wrong. And what’s worse? That the wrong message you’re giving out is actually powerful. Destruction99, that’s what it is.


When I began watching the video, I didn’t quite realise what was happening. I’m not stupid, but the video is very vivid and doesn’t really make a lot of sense. It looked like these women had something extremely major against the society, and it seemed very aggressive. Nevertheless, I continued watching and realization began to dawn upon me. Feminism; that’s the whole deal out here! Pretty cool; so I continued watching.

Then, this happened.

“To have sex before marriage”, yeah okay, no one has issues with that, it IS your choice. “To have sex outside of marriage; my choice” wait, what? Excuse me, did I hear that right? Outside of marriage; really, that’s your ‘choice’?

No it’s not. Neither is it a privilege. Promoting feminism, gender equality- that’s one thing; promoting adultery- now that’s a different thing. Whether you are a male or a female, adultery does not come off as a 'choice' in the first place.

Honestly, nature has created women physically weak and emotionally stronger than men, and the vice versa. If we’re expecting men to give birth to babies; women to lift 100s of KGS in a construction site- that’s not gender equality. GENDER EQUALITY COMES WITH ACCEPTANCE. Accept the opposite gender as they are, and you shall already be equal to them.

Yes, I agree, that not just in India, but throughout the world, there is an air of male dominance and it cannot be wiped off in a day, but, female dominance isn’t an option. Equality is; dominance isn’t. Honestly, I saw a lot of my own friends sharing that video and promoting the so called equality, but think about it. If a man came up you and told you that “sex outside of marriage is his choice”, would you make a video of it and share it on YouTube, calling it a powerful message? Or would you take those slippers off and smack him on the head with it? I think we’d choose Option 2. Now, if a man isn’t allowed to do this, and is looked down by the society, then can a woman be given this choice? I found this video that supports this article. 
Do watch it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhjOnXGXpHo&amp, it’s much more ‘powerful’ than the original video itself.

In closing, I would like to say that this video definitely did not turn out to be empowering or unbiased. In turn, it was aggressive, unclear, biased… to sum it all up in one sentence, all this video did manage to tell was this: “I am awesome, boys you suck; get lost!” and has definitely hurt the male populace of the country. Sincere apologies from every female; we love you. Remember, your gender does not matter, but your choices do. your choices affect others lives as much as they affect yours, and the effect might be terrible if you take the wrong choices. if you want others to take your decisions, your choices seriously, then be true to yourself about what you want first. Vogue India has been coming up with really touching campaigns, but after 'My Choice', they need to compensate the loss by putting forward simpler and clearer content for the audience. Good luck Team Vogue; stay true to your name!  

No comments:

Post a Comment